How Far Will You Go to Make a Difference?
A 12k walk through the beautiful Pewsey Vale.
Less arduous and shorter walk available. Please ask at least a couple of days in advance so we have driver available.
This has been one of our biggest annual fundraisers. The 2020 and 2021 walks were postponed because of the pandemic. WE ARE BACK!.
22nd May 2022
Afrikaya’s 6th sponsored walk!
10.00 check in ready for 10.30 start
A sponsored ‘walktoschoolathon’ for Afrikaya. This 12K walk through the beautiful Pewsey Vale is almost the distance that children in New Yundum, The Gambia [some as young as 3 years old] were walking to school each day, including crossing a busy 4 lane highway – the main Banjul to Brikama highway. The walk is in its sixth year – by popular demand. Shorter, less arduous route available – keep reading!
Start and finish: Wilcot Village Hall, Wilcot, Nr Pewsey, Wiltshire, SN9 5NN
Although there is no registration fee, you are expected to raise sponsorship or make a personal donation in lieu of sponsorship. Suggested amount:
under 17s £5.00; under 12s £2.00
Wilcot Village Hall will be open all day. Call in and find out more about Afrikaya. Once the walkers have set off, we will be serving tea/coffee and cake to anyone who wants to call in.
Lunch will be available from 12.30. Menu: Afrikaya Curries and Rice.
Want more details?
Approximate time to complete the walk: 3 – 3.5 hours at talking pace.
What do I need to do to register?
Please register with us on-line beforehand if at all possible. There is no registration fee. However, you are expected to raise sponsorship or make a personal donation in lieu of sponsorship. Suggested amount £10.00 or £5.00 under 17s or £2.00 under 12s [under 6s free].
Please donate via: http://paypal.com/gb/fundraiser/charity/3202564 [make sure you tick the box about sharing info with the charity or we won’t know it’s you].
Alternate ways to donate:
- Cash on the day
- Contact free card reader on the day
- Bank transfer [please ask for details]
Want to raise sponsorship?
We can send you a paper copy of a sponsorship form [please ask] or you can set up a fundraising page on https://www.justgiving.com/afrikayacharity
What do I need to know?
- This is a multi-terrain walk. Mostly footpaths and farm tracks but some road walking on lanes in Wilcot/West Stowell/Huish area.
- Some uphill walking to the Pewsey Downs.
- Alternative route for anyone who can’t cope with steep hill. See section Need a Lift to Shorter Route?
- Children under 16 MUST be accompanied by an adult who will be responsible for their safety [no more than 4 children per adult].
- Dog [on leads] are welcome if they are kept strictly under control, especially on roads and fields where there are livestock. Carry a poo bag and pick up poo!!
Please note: “Parasites can be transmitted to livestock through infected dog waste being left on grazing land. Some of these parasites cause diseases in livestock which can result in death of sheep, and abortion in cattle”.
- Please pick up all your litter!
- You will be supplied with a map of the route [although the route will be clearly signposted] and emergency phone numbers when you arrive.
Need a lift to a shorter, less arduous, route?
If you don’t want to tackle the hill up to the Downs, a car will be leaving Wilcot Village Hall at 11am to take walkers to a higher start point. Please register online and let us know beforehand so we can make sure we have enough transport.
Health and safety
- Please dress appropriately for the weather. It can we quite cold on top of the Downs especially if it’s windy. If windy, it is advisable to wear a hat.
- Walking boots are preferable, although trainers will probably suffice if it has been dry and remains so.
- Make sure you have enough water with you, especially if it is a hot day!
- We will have a marshal on the bridge in Wilcot for the start as cars may not see you until the reach the brow.
- Take care on public roads.
When you finish – Health and Safety
- Please return to Wilcot Village Hall and let us know that you are back, so we don’t go looking for you on the hills!!
- Our ‘end sweepers’ [collecting the signs and picking up litter] will set out at midday, by which time you should be well on your way down unless you decide to stop for a picnic!
- If the sweepers catch up with you, please give your names to them and let them know you are happy to do the rest unsupported by us.
- Refreshments, drinks, cake AND [by popular demand] Afrikaya curries, will be available at a reasonable cost in Wilcot Village Hall.
What if I have an accident or get taken ill?
- We will have the services of Black Sheep First Response with a Land Rover, should anyone need first aid.
Please download the app What3Words on your mobile. In an emergency, call Tom on 0758 1538 543 and tell him what words show on What3Words. In a poor signal area, you can text Tom with the ‘3 words’ and he should pick it up.
- When you register, please let us know if you have any relevant medical issues or other vulnerability, so we can pre-warn Tom.
Please donate your sponsorship via: PayPal Giving Fund
[make sure you tick the box about sharing info with the charity or we won’t know it’s you].
Please Gift Aid your donation if you are a UK tax payer, then the charity receives an extra 25% at no extra cost to you.
Want to raise sponsorship?
- We can send you a paper copy of the Sponsorship Form.
- You can download the Sponsorship Form
- You can also create your own fundraising page on Just Giving– that way you dont have to chase people for sponsorship after the event!
PLEASE ASK FOR DETAILS!
You don’t have to take part to donate.
Here are a couple of photos taken part way through the walk!